NYT > Education

Friday, September 2, 2011

First Recollection of Reading

My first recollection of reading for the first time on my own was the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne.  I remember liking this not only because I took joy in reading my first chapter book, but also because the two main characters visited different parts of the world meeting figures and visiting places I've been learning about in school.  It was the first time I remember drawing parallels in what I read for pleasure and what I learned in my history class.  I was probably around 8 or 9 years old, and my history loving father recommended this book for me to read.
Noel

1 comment:

  1. Hi Noel. How old were you when this happened and who chose the book for you to read?

    Reading certainly finds importance in our literate lives once we find some way to connect this practice with our own experiences.

    I look forward to reading future posts.

    ReplyDelete