NYT > Education

Saturday, September 24, 2011

National Book Festival 9/24/11

With the exception of the single tracking Metro at the most inconvenient weekend of the year, The National Book Festival was a very worthwhile experience.  I liked that the festival was structured in a way that people can visit tents with themes where authors are making speeches.  There was a spectrum of genres so that people can find their own interests.  I was especially happy to see that David Eggers was there.  I haven't read any of his fictional work, but I've read about how he had to raise his brother following the death of his parents, and I've always admired him as a person.  Life got very tough for him raising an 8 year old at such a young age, but still managing to make something of himself.  He reminds me of people in my own life.  His book Zeitoun is a nonfiction book about a similar theme.  Abdulrahman Zeitoun, a Syrian American about how he decided to stay back and help people after hurricane Katrina.  He was then arrested for no particular crime and was detained for days. Yet he is still a man who believes in pluralism and good will.  These stories of colorful true characters speak to me that there are selfless and strong willed individuals who can share good stories about their lives.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this very enthusiastic and thoughtful post! So, I take it you may go to the festival again next year?

    ReplyDelete