NYT > Education

Friday, September 23, 2011

Hawai'i Event

I really enjoyed how Kohala Kuamo'o was presented.  Kekauleleanae’ole is fortunate to have such a supportive family who are proud of their heritage.  There are certainly those who lack such support, and their colorful family history is lost.  Now that it is documented in print, their specific story specific to their culture will be around forever.  I especially liked the Walter's point that people have family stories to share.  The challenge is, however, the means in which one can tap into the rich history.  However, what this book has done is to create spaces by forming a traditional story that has been passed down by generations.  People have a story to share, and this encourages reflection on how how powerful culture can shape human beings.

I thought this was a worthwhile experience, and it was nice to see the entire family coming to discuss the mechanisms involved in creating the book.  Kekauleleanae’ole was very articulate and mature for his age, and I hope to see him continue his passion for writing.

How would someone who don'e have the support and resources (e.g. I don't have the best relationship with my parents) to create space for family history.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if bringing to the fore these sorts of family histories and experiences might be one way to begin to create a space to help family members re-thinking their relationships to one another? It may not happen immediately but over time. I think doing this kind of writing also helps us to better understand one another and how we might want to be with each other.

    I'm glad you thought the experience was worthwhile.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete